Bars pass through the grid squares, so if you have a 12" back wall on your cage base, you'll need to cut that section down.
Images may show it with a cage, canopy, cafe, and/or cover -- but are not included. Be SURE to click the "What's Included" tab for patio components. You can select half grids or half windows options for safety.
Easy Lift-Off for Cleaning and Access Below!
Our Piggy Patios are only possible because of our EXCLUSIVE, custom-manufactured Wonder Bars! The patio rests on a pair of very strong Wonder Bars. Just lift off the patio and easily pick up the two Wonder Bars for 100% access to the cage below.
Lower upper level -- Easier for your Guinea Pigs
Your guinea pigs will enjoy getting to an upper level on a ramp with a gentler slope. Height is adjustable, so you can start off lower and raise as needed.
Make a Fun Look!
Choose one of our patterns and cut your Coroplast for a fun look on the front edge of your patio.
Add a deck (patio) in a SINGLE-LEVEL, CLOSED cage!
Now you can add an "upper level" or Piggy Patio to a single-level cage with a closed top! There is enough clearance for the guinea pigs on both the lower level and the patio level.
Our Piggy Patio is 13.75 x 28 inches. Please note that the width is 28 inches, not 27 inches or less. This is because these patios need to be closer to the grid walls for safety. As a result the width of the patio is slightly wider than the base for a better fit.
So, these patios will only work as MID-GRID height upper levels.
Piggy Patios are shipped with all four sides straight cut. You may want the ramp on the left, right or middle. You may want a wave or castle pattern or just a straight edge. Customize it to your desires! Ask us for castle or wave patterns for cutting.
Upper Levels are Good For
- Providing variety to your guinea pigs to help reduce boredom.
- A potential Kitchen or Hay area separate from the main cage area. But please note, not all guinea pigs will want to use this.
- A get-away area for some guinea pig pairs or groups who may not get along all the time. When one guinea pig can get out of sight from another, that can go a long way towards keeping the peace and keeping harassment down.
Upper Level Things to Consider
- Older guinea pigs typically loose their interest in going up a ramp to an upper level. Some are not able to as arthritis can bother guinea pigs, just like it can people.
- Not all guinea pigs will want to use a ramp. It can take patience (as in days, weeks or even months) to get a guinea pig to change and adapt. Do not expect overnight results when adding an upper level. Training with pieces of food can help.
- While a wider upper level provides more space on top, it is more difficult to reach under a two-grid deep upper deck. It is trickier to clean and to retrieve your guinea pigs for lap time.
- The gentler the slope of the ramp, the better, but more slope also takes up more precious downstairs cage space, so it's a trade-off.
Counting Cage Space
Please keep in mind that you should only count the lower level when determining how much cage space is required for your guinea pigs. Upper levels DO NOT COUNT in determining how much space you are providing. They are used occasionally and sometimes not at all by some or all of your guinea pigs.
Piggy Patio Includes
(Note - this patio kit contains only the components listed below)
- (1) 4mm 13.75" x 28" x 3.75" wall Coroplast base in your choice of 16 colors!
The base is cut and scored so you only have to secure the flaps.
- (1) 27" Reinforced Ramp to mach your coroplast color and edging to match your grid color.
- (2) Wonder Bars in your choice of black or white to match your grid color.
- (2) Velcro to hold ramp onto Wonder Bar as you're lifting patio.
- (8) Snap-in Plastic Rivets.
- Easy-to-follow, color assembly instructions with photos
NEW! Rivets on the Flaps!
- We've updated our cage design to make it even easier and more secure than ever! All of our Coroplast bases now come with nice, clean holes -- professionally punched in the appropriate locations. We include our new, easy-snap-in plastic rivets for securing the base.
- The rivets, while very secure when in place, can also be popped back open with a little separation pressure should you need to dissemble it and are generally reuseable.