Mezzanine for Midwest® Habitat cages only
(THIS ITEM DOES NOT FIT A C&C CAGE)
(THIS ITEM DOES NOT INCLUDE A MIDWEST CAGE)
Please note: You cannot use both a Mezzanine AND a Piggy Perch together in a Midwest cage. Also a backsplash will not fit near the Mezzanine, but it can be used on the opposite end.
Currently, Midwest brand cages do not offer a second level as the fencing doesn't support one....until now. Our Mezzanine not only provides your guinea pigs with a second level with two ramps for zoomies, but reinforces the Midwest's fencing, making it stronger and more stable.
Easy Lift for Cleaning and Access Below!
Just lift up the platform for 100% access to the cage (or diner) below.
Lower upper level -- Easier for your Guinea Pigs
Your guinea pigs will enjoy getting to an upper level on a ramp with a gentler slope.
Add a deck (patio) in a SINGLE-LEVEL, CLOSED cage!
Now you can add an "upper level" or Piggy Patio to a single-level cage with a closed top! There is enough clearance for the guinea pigs on both the lower level and the patio level.
Our Midwest Mezzanine is 13.5 x 22.5" inches with 3.75 inch walls. The two ramps are 6 x 14 inches each and are backed by our short half grid. The coroplast ramps are carpeted and they're recessed flush with the short half grid.
Upper Levels are Good For
- Providing variety to your guinea pigs to help reduce boredom.
- A potential Kitchen or Hay area separate from the main cage area. But please note, not all guinea pigs will want to use this.
- A get-away area for some guinea pig pairs or groups who may not get along all the time. When one guinea pig can get out of sight from another, that can go a long way towards keeping the peace and reducing harassment.
Upper Level Things to Consider
- Older guinea pigs typically loose their interest in going up a ramp to an upper level. Some are not able to as arthritis can bother guinea pigs, just like it can people.
- Not all guinea pigs will want to use a ramp. It can take patience (as in days, weeks or even months) to get a guinea pig to change and adapt. Do not expect overnight results when adding an upper level. Training with pieces of food can help.
- The gentler the slope of the ramp, the better, but more slope also takes up more precious downstairs cage space, so it's a trade-off.
Counting Cage Space
Please keep in mind that you should only count the lower level when determining how much cage space is required for your guinea pigs. Upper levels DO NOT COUNT in determining how much space you are providing. They are used occasionally and sometimes not at all by some or all of your guinea pigs.
Midwest Mezzanine Includes
(Note - this kit contains only the components listed below. It does not include the cage or fleece)
- (1) 4mm 13.5" x 22.5" x 3.75" wall Coroplast base in your choice of 16 colors!
The base is cut and scored so you only have to secure the flaps with the rivets provided in the kit. There is no need for a front wall.
- (2) Standard 14" x 14" grids in your choice of black or white to match your grid color.
- (2) Skinny grids
- (2) Short Half Grids for the two ramps
- (2) 14" Carpeted Coroplast Ramps to mach your coroplast color.
- (1) Mini Moon with half round insert with heart cut out and pink backing
- (4) Snap-in Plastic Rivets
- Plenty of Cable ties
- Easy-to-follow, color assembly instructions with photos
OPTIONAL, if ordered:
(4) Dome OR Half
Grids for safety. (Not necessary if you have a covered cage)
Rivets on the Flaps!
- All of our Coroplast bases come with nice, clean holes -- professionally punched in the appropriate locations. We include our easy-snap-in plastic rivets for securing the base.
- The rivets, while very secure when in place, can also be popped back open with a little separation pressure should you need to remove them for storage or moving and are generally reuseable.