XL Cage Dimensions
- Lower level = 27" x 71" = about 13 Square Feet of space.
- Upper level = about 4.5 Square Feet of additional space
- Total = about 17.5 Square Feet of cage space
- Exterior: 30" x 76" when assembled = you will need a table space of about 2.5 feet by 6.5 feet to accommodate this cage.
Images & Portal Opening
Please note that some images show our older style loft with a standard grid at the top of the ramp. This grid has been replaced with a Portal Grid which allows a larger opening for the ramp to swing up for easier cleaning and access.
Upper Levels are Good For
- Reducing boredom by enriching the spaces available.
- Provides a covered area over the kitchen to provide a sense of security which encourages its use.
- A get-away area for some guinea pigs who may not get along.
- Exercises different muscles than flat running, which can help keep them more toned and healthy.
Coro Height Options
- 6" walls on all four sides. This is the perfect height for keeping bedding contained, visibility to pigs, good airflow, and safety.
- 10" walls on all four sides for Hedgehogs only.
- 12" wall on one long side as shown. Three sides are 6". May help keep hay and bedding kick-out more contained with active guinea pigs, especially when not using fleece, but generally 6" walls are just fine.
- For a 12" wall on a short END (behind a Kitchen), we recommend our Backsplash, which is removable for cleaning.
- 12" back walls are NOT compatible with Patios, Lookout Lounges, Cage Dividers, Piggy Perches, or Midwest Mezzanines (without cutting into the Coroplast back wall -- doable).
- High walls all the way around a cage are not recommended for guinea pigs as it blocks too much airflow as well as your visibility.
Deluxe Cage Kit Includes
- (24) 14" Grids in black or white (powder-coated & SAFE inner holes 1 3/8")
- (2) Portal Grids
- (38) Connectors in black or white
- (1) 27" Ramp in Coroplast color of your choice and edging to match grid color with grey Carpet.
- (1) Pair of Ramp Hooks for ramp attachment
- 4mm Coroplast bottom in your choice of 16 colors!
The base is pre-cut and pre-scored with pre-punched holes to secure flaps using snap-in plastic rivets (not tape). Coroplast base is creased and folded for shipping, which creates an indented "crush" line. This does not affect the functionality of the cage. It's barely noticeable when fully assembled.
- Rivets for fastening all coroplast flaps
- Cable ties that match the grid color. (Using cable ties to reinforce the grid connections helps make the cage extra tight and super secure.)
- Easy-to-follow, color assembly instructions with photos
- Two-page Guinea Pig Care Sheet
Please NOTE about the Cage Bottom
The cage does not have grids on the bottom. They are
unnecessary. The cage is designed to sit nicely on a flat surface -- a
table top, a desk, the floor (if it's draft-free), etc.
However, if you desire, you can make a cage stand out of grids. Please see our matching XL Cage Stand if you are interested in a cage stand.
How many Guinea Pigs will fit in a 2x5?
- Up to 3 adult guinea pigs comfortably. It varies a bit depending upon your group. This is actually the recommended size for 2 males. Males typically need a bit more room than females. They need space to get away from each other when they want to.
- It would be possible to house a larger, well-bonded group of 4, perhaps as many as 5, but that would really be pushing it.
guinea pig needs at least a 2x3 grid-sized cage. This cage could temporarily be divided to accommodate splitting a bickering pair or separating a male and female.
You just need a Cage Divider or our "Wall of Silence" down the middle of a 2x5 to instantly create two 2x2.5 grid cages. But, as we really recommend a 2x3 for even one guinea pig, using this cage to separate them should be a temporary situation.