Large Cage Dimensions
- Lower level = 27" x 56" = about 10.5 Square Feet of cage space
- Upper level = about 4.5 Square Feet of additional space
- Total = about 15 Square Feet of cage space
- Exterior: 30" x 60" when assembled = you will need a table space of about 2.5 feet by 5 feet to accommodate this cage.
Images & Portal Opening
Please note that some images show our older style loft with a standard grid at the top of the ramp. This grid has been replaced with a Portal Grid which allows a larger opening for the ramp to swing up for easier cleaning and access.
Upper Levels are Good For
- Reducing boredom by enriching the spaces available.
- Provides a covered area over the kitchen to provide a sense of security which encourages its use.
- A get-away area for some guinea pigs who may not get along.
- Exercises different muscles than flat running, which can help keep them more toned and healthy.
Coro Height Options
- 6" walls on all four sides. This is the perfect height for keeping bedding contained, visibility to pigs, good airflow, and safety.
- 10" walls on all four sides for Hedgehogs only.
- 12" wall on one long side as shown. Three sides are 6". May help keep hay and bedding kick-out more contained with active guinea pigs, especially when not using fleece, but generally 6" walls are just fine.
- For a 12" wall on a short END (behind a Kitchen), we recommend our Backsplash, which is removable for cleaning.
- 12" back walls are NOT compatible with Patios, Lookout Lounges, Cage Dividers, Piggy Perches, or Midwest Mezzanines (without cutting into the Coroplast back wall -- doable).
- High walls all the way around a cage are not recommended for guinea pigs as it blocks too much airflow as well as your visibility.
Deluxe Cage Kit Includes
- (22) 14" Grids in black or white (powder-coated & SAFE inner holes 1 3/8")
- (2) Portal Grids
- (34) Connectors in black or white
- (1) 27" Ramp in Coroplast color and Material of your choice and edging to match grid color.
- (1) Pair of Ramp Hooks for ramp attachment
- 4mm Coroplast bottom in your choice of 16 colors!
The base is pre-cut and pre-scored with pre-punched holes to secure flaps using snap-in plastic rivets (not tape). Coroplast base is creased and folded for shipping, which creates an indented "crush" line. This does not affect the functionality of the cage. It's barely noticeable when fully assembled.
- Rivets for fastening all coroplast flaps
- Cable ties that match the grid color. (Using cable ties to reinforce the grid connections helps make the cage extra tight and super secure.)
- Easy-to-follow, color assembly instructions with photos
- Two-page Guinea Pig Care Sheet
Please NOTE about the Cage Bottom
The cage does not have grids on the bottom. They are
unnecessary. The cage is designed to sit nicely on a flat surface -- a
table top, a desk, the floor (if it's draft-free), etc.
However, if you desire, you can make a cage stand out of grids. Please see our matching Large Cage Stand if you are interested in a cage stand.
How many Guinea Pigs will fit in a 2x4?
- Up to 2 adult guinea pigs comfortably. It varies a bit depending upon your group. This is the recommended cage size for two guinea pigs. Males typically need a bit more room than females and while this cage can work, we ideally recommend a 2x5 size for two males.
- It would be possible to house a well-bonded group of 3, but 4 would really pushing it in this size cage. Keep in mind with more guinea pigs in a smaller cage, it's also more work to keep it clean.
- ONE guinea pig needs at least a 2x3 grid-sized cage. This cage size is really too small to divide, so you should make your decision wisely if you suspect you may have to divide the cage. In that case, you should go with a larger size to start with.