Large Cage Dimensions
- Interior: 27" x 56" = about 10.5 Square Feet of cage space.
- Exterior: 30" x 60" when assembled with grids (not included in this item) you will need a table space of about 2.5 feet by 5 feet to accommodate this cage.
Coro Height Preference
This refers to the HEIGHT of the COROPLAST on ONE long-side of the cage -- for the back wall.
- 6" (inches) is standard. 6" sides all the way
around maximizes ventilation and visibility, and it is generally high
enough to keep in bedding for most guinea pigs. Also, a water bottle
spout resting on the top of the 6" Coroplast is a good height for guinea
pigs to drink from.
- 12" (inches) is good if the long side of your cage
is going up against a wall. This helps prevent hay (and in some cases
bedding) from being kicked up and getting stuck against the wall. You
can always cut it down later if you decide it doesn't work for you. The
12" option is just to help you keep your floor and wall cleaner in some
NOTE: We do NOT offer 12" walls all the way around because we do NOT
recommend it. It cuts off too much air circulation for the guinea pigs.
In addition, even if you wanted it regardless of our advice, coroplast
is only 48 inches wide and that would require 51 inches.
Coroplast Base Includes
- 4mm Coroplast bottom in your choice of 15 colors!
27" x 56" x 6" sides for 2x4 Grid cage
The base is cut and scored so you only have to secure the flaps.
(Coroplast base is scored and folded for shipping, which makes an
indented "crush" line, but it does not affect the function of the cage.
It's barely noticeable when fully assembled.)
(16) Snap-in Plastic Rivets to fasten flaps.
NEW! Rivets on the Flaps!
- We've updated our cage design to make it even easier and more secure than ever! All of our Coroplast bases now come with nice, clean holes -- professionally punched in the appropriate locations. We include our new, easy-snap-in plastic rivets for securing the base.
- The rivets, while very secure when in place, can also be popped back open with a little separation pressure should you need to dissemble your cage and are generally reuseable.
Our Cagetopia-brand Grids have stayed the same over the years as we have many hundreds of thousands of C&C cage owners (DIY and customers) that depend on the original sizes and the best quality grids and connectors.
Supplying your OWN GRIDS?
Or mixing in different grid sources or vendors? No 14" grids are the same anymore. Please review:
- Many 14" grids are NO LONGER COMPATIBLE
- Grid Vendors are now ALL DIFFERENT from each other
Especially on Amazon, but also Bed, Bath & Beyond, Target, etc.
- DIFFERENT CONNECTORS: gap spacing (space between grids) can be different (standard = 3/8") and that matters.
- Grid Size: 14" exactly is required -- NOT 12" or anything else
- Grid Wire Gauge (thickness): Grid vendors adapt their connectors to their wire gauge, which is typically thinner than ours (4mm = 3 pennies), so they won't work well together, if at all -- too tight or too loose.
- Inner Grid-hole Size (safety-related):
NO INNER HOLES BIGGER than 1.5" or you risk your guinea pig's head getting stuck and strangling. In a 14" grid, there should be 9 holes by 9 holes -- never less.
- Using only Zip Ties (no connectors) is NOT RECOMMENDED.
CAGETOPIA CONNECTORS WORK GREAT
Some people complain about using the connectors. They are using NON-Cagetopia connectors. Ours work great and are easy to snap in, while being strong and stable.
- Zip ties alone ARE NOT STRONGER as compared to using Connectors WITH zip ties (not opinion, engineering fact).
- Many Cagetopia products will NOT be compatible for fit without using the connectors.
- The fit of the coro inside the grids will be different.
Trying to save a few dollars now on purchasing grids separately could be a frustrating, if not an expensive, decision later.
All these things MATTER on CAGE BUILDING.
If you buy one vendor's grids today and try to mix in a different vendor's grids from Amazon tomorrow, odds are high they may not be compatible with each other or our Cagetopia Grids.