Safe, Metal Grid
- 14" x 14" Black or White Powder Coated quarter round grid
- Openings are 1 3/8" which are safe for adult guinea pigs
Baby Guinea Pig Warning
New baby guinea pigs can pass right through these grid openings. You MUST baby proof your cage if you have babies or young adult guinea pigs. Small guinea pigs (roughly under 6 months of age) should be protected from being exposed to the grids.
How to Baby Proof
- Either make your Coroplast walls temporarily higher (9 inches is recommended) (you can use cardboard or spare Coroplast), OR
- Double up the grids, reducing the inner holes by 1/2.
- Do NOT use internal grids as hayracks when you have babies or small young adults.
The good news is that baby guinea pigs grow amazingly fast. Most will be beyond the need for baby proofing within a few months. You need to use your judgement and be conservative.
What if they chew on the grids?
There are two possible health risks if a guinea pig chews incessantly on the grids.
- Ingestion of the coating
There has *never* been any reports of any guinea pig being harmed or becoming sick from chewing on the grids.
- Breaking a tooth
There is a very very remote possibility that a guinea pig might break a tooth by violently chewing on a grid. If this happens, it isn't life threatening. See a vet, but guinea pig's teeth grow back amazingly quickly! This usually only happens if there are males living in a divided cage next to females. In this case, it's best go with our "Wall of Silence" cage divider.
- (1) 14" x 14" Black or White Powder Coated quarter round grid