Do we NEED a TOP for our guinea pig cage?
The general answer is NO. Guinea pigs are not climbers or jumpers or escape artists. It is not in their nature. However, there are always exceptions. Here is a list of conditions that warrant a cover for your cage:
- When you are housing MALES right next to FEMALES. Especially with young males, they will do pretty much anything to get over a grid wall to get to the females next door. In this case, you still probably don't need a full cage cover, just a cover over the divider area which separates them.
- When you need to protect your guinea pigs from CHILDREN, especially small children, OR if there will be rambunctious play in the room with the guinea pigs. You don't want any flying objects (like balls or whatever) landing in the cage.
- When you need to protect your guinea pigs from other PETS or possible visiting stray dogs or such if you leave your doors open in warm months. Many cats and dogs are actually fine with guinea pigs, but you need to be safe rather than sorry, especially until you know for certain what your pet's behaviors will be. Guinea pigs are generally not stressed out by the presence of other pets. They just ignore them.
How long will it take to get here?
Once we have the order completed, it gets shipped at the end of that day from Connecticut via ground transportation. Of course, we cannot say exactly when it will get to you, but here are TYPICAL times for a cage kit shipment:
Destination, Typical Transit Times:
- Northeast: 1-3 business days
- Southeast: 2-3 business days
- Midwest: 2-4 business days
- Southwest: 3-4 business days
- West: 4-6 business days
It takes us up to 72 hours to make, pack and ship your order. Here is a typical example:
- Order and pay Wednesday evening in California.
- Typically ships out Thursday late in the day from Connecticut.
- Typically received in California by Wednesday or Thursday the following week.
Please ship to my country!
We currently ship to the US and Canada.
Canadian shipments: We ship UPS standard, but keep in mind, the cost you are charged at checkout is shipping only. You will be required to pay duties and taxes as well as a broker fee upon arrival. (See the Canadian Duty Calculator for an estimate). Also if your order is under 200.00 US subtotal, the broker fee is only $10.00.
We are frequently asked to ship to other countries. Some people insist on a shipping quote. Even when we explain that it is going to be very high, people still have sticker shock on the cost.
For example, to ship a cage kit to Australia? Typical cost of the product? around $100. Typical cost of shipping? Around $250. Total cost: $350!
Why is it so expensive? Because there are massive tariffs on the package size.