Excellent Cage Configuration!
This Cage Setup is ideal for cavy newbies and cavy gurus alike if you have 30"x60" of space. The 2x4-grid cage size is recommended for 2 females or a neutered male and female. It's the minimum size suggested for two males, but one size up is preferred for two males. If you have two males and can't go bigger, then providing a double-ramp option on the Large size (2x4 grids) is a great way to help make up for the lesser space. In fact, the double-ramp option is HIGHLY recommended for males in general, but females absolutely love it too. If you can splurge on the double-ramp loft, you'll love seeing the zoomie and chasing antics that your guinea pigs will discover.
And YES, ALL Cagetopia cages have optional covers, or you can add a cover later if needed. All cages can also be put on our same-sized Cage Stand if desired as well, raising the cage to coffee table height (15" off the floor) -- a comfortable level, allowing easier access.
Get this Cage Setup
Cage from the Guinea Pig Cages Store
Fleece and Accessories from the Guinea Pig Market
Many guinea pigs can't wait to explore a new cage or a new addition to their cage, but some need a little encouragement. Don't give up too soon if your guinea pig(s) don't take to it right away. Sometimes it can take weeks for a guinea pig to get up the courage. The additional exercise that their little bodies receive by going up and down is EXTREMELY BENEFICIAL to their overall health and wellness. Especially for males, it helps keep those butt muscles toned and healthy which can help prevent impaction later in life. This additional up and down, climbing exercise helps all guinea pigs with their digestive systems, their internal organs, their stamina and strength and their overall health and happiness. It's great cage enrichment for them. And two ramps are definitely better than one as they can do better zoomies without having to full stop and turn around. For diva females or bickering males, it's much easier for them to get away and not get trapped by the aggressor.
Suggestions to encourage them to use the ramp
- Put their favorite food pieces on the ramp and at the top.
- Make the ramp less steep by adding some soft stairs underneath, like Plush Beds, Potty Pads, folded Fleece Cases or something similar.
- Include a small, secondary hay rack or even make the top a big hay pile.
- Make sure something is clearly covered on the top: they need to feel secure.
Like a Corner Cabin, Picnic Awning, Cavy Canopy or Fleece Forest(s).
- Just put them up there (make sure there is a hidey) and let them come down on their own.
They'll figure it out. Help them down if they don't figure it out soon enough. :)
- We ship the ramps with carpet attached, but adding an official Ramp Cover or a folded Fleece Case on the ramp can give them a more familiar feeling and encourage exploration. The Carpet will grab onto the fleece and keep it in place.
- Add some yummy toys up top for them to explore and nibble on